During the Spanish Regime there was no written history of this town. However some elders can recall that their forefathers told them that long before the Spaniards came
to Christianize the inhabitants of the Philippines, Tuba was believed to have already existed. According to stories gathered, the place was generally called “Kafagway” meaning stem or grassy clearing because of the thickness of trees and shrubs. This comment can be supplemented with the report of Quirante in his expedition to the mines of Antamok in 1624, as contained in the Spanish Archives report. The Spaniards did not stay long because they failed in their many attempts to Christianize the inhabitants.
In fact, during the revolution against Spain, Don Mateo Cariño with a party of
natives and some insurrectos attacked the “Spanish Headquarters in La Trinidad and succeeded in driving them away. These inhabitants who belong to the Ibaloi tribe were the first inhabitants of this place bravely fought the Spaniards.
Upon establishment of the erstwhile Philippine Republic under General Emilio
Aguinaldo, Don Mateo Cariño was designated as President of the Town of Baguio and made a Captain of the Igorot Forces. He also became a “Cabesilla” and Headman of the community under the Spanish Government.
It was only during the American Regime however, that Tuba started to have a
written history. In the early part of the American Regime, Tuba was then a part of the Baguio Township. In fact when the Americans started their administration, Baguio was made Capital of Benguet when the first civil government was established in 1900, when Don Mateo Cariño was offered the position to become the Township President but declined in favor of his eldest son Sioco Cariño, who then became the First President under the New Administration.
It was during the American Regime that the famous Kennon Road was
constructed to make easier for the Americans to reach Baguio, since they have to walk. Later on they constructed trails and used horses to come up. They have to improve the trails and constructed roads and bridges.
In the latter part when the American established their seat of government in
Baguio, they started building roads and the relay station at Mount Sto. Tomas inTuba.
Legal Basis of creation
With the declaration of Baguio into a chartered city, the incumbent township
President then Caburon Sungduan, the last Township President of Baguio, continued his term in Tuba as the First Township President and established a new administration under the Township of Twin Peaks.
On June 25, 1963, President Diosdado Macapagal issued Executive Order No. 42 and by operation of section 2 of Republic Act No. 1515, the Municipal District of Tuba was converted into a regular municipality.