Municipality of Tuba

  Poblacion, Tuba, Benguet 2603
  (074) 447 0064

Philippine Standard Time:


Events leading to the creation of the LGU

 During the Spanish Regime there was no written history of this town. However some elders can recall that their forefathers told them that long before the Spaniards came to Christianize the inhabitants of the Philippines, Tuba was believed to have already existed. According to stories gathered, the place was generally called “Kafagway” meaning stem or grassy clearing because of the thickness of trees and shrubs. This comment can be supplemented with the report of Quirante in his expedition to the mines of Antamok in 1624, as contained in the Spanish Archives report. The Spaniards did not stay long because they failed in their many attempts to Christianize the inhabitants.

In fact, during the revolution against Spain, Don Mateo Cariño with a party of

natives and some insurrectos attacked the “Spanish Headquarters in La Trinidad and succeeded in driving them away. These inhabitants who belong to the Ibaloi tribe were the first inhabitants of this place bravely fought the Spaniards.

Upon establishment of the erstwhile Philippine Republic under General Emilio

Aguinaldo, Don Mateo Cariño was designated as President of the Town of Baguio and made a Captain of the Igorot Forces. He also became a “Cabesilla” and Headman of the community under the Spanish Government.

It was only during the American Regime however, that Tuba started to have a

written history. In the early part of the American Regime, Tuba was then a part of the Baguio Township. In fact when the Americans started their administration, Baguio was made Capital of Benguet when the first civil government was established in 1900, when Don Mateo Cariño was offered the position to become the Township President but declined in favor of his eldest son Sioco Cariño, who then became the First President under the New Administration.

It was during the American Regime that the famous Kennon Road was

constructed to make easier for the Americans to reach Baguio, since they have to walk. Later on they constructed trails and used horses to come up. They have to improve the trails and constructed roads and bridges.

In the latter part when the American established their seat of government in

Baguio, they started building roads and the relay station at Mount Sto. Tomas inTuba.     

Legal Basis of creation

With the declaration of Baguio into a chartered city, the incumbent township

President then Caburon Sungduan, the last Township President of Baguio, continued his term in Tuba as the First Township President and established a new administration under the Township of Twin Peaks.

             On June 25, 1963, President Diosdado Macapagal issued Executive Order No. 42 and by operation of section 2 of Republic Act No. 1515, the Municipal District of Tuba was converted into a regular municipality.

 Date of creation

             In the early part of 1900 during the American Regime, Tuba started to have a written history of its own. Tuba was then a part or the Baguio Township. In fact, when the American started their administration, Baguio was made Capital of Benguet when the first civil government was established in 1900. During this time, Don Mateo was offered the position of Township President but declined in favor of his eldest son Sioco Cariño, who thence became the first President under the New Administration.

            On November 22, 1900, Tuba was made a Township by virtue of Act No. 18 and Act No. 1397. The Township form of government continued until July 1909, when then Justice George A. Malcolm was assigned to make a study of Baguio’s governmental possibilities to be improved. Based on the report submitted by Justice Malcolm, a law was passed to provide a more appropriate government for Baguio. Act No. 1963 otherwise known as the Baguio Charter took effect on September 1, 1909. Baguio was then made a chartered city to succeed the township form of government.

            On December 11, 1911, Cameron Forbes then Governor General of the Philippines issued Executive No. 77 which abolished the Township of Twin Peaks and creating in its stead the Township of Tuba. To comprise the Township are the Barrios of Topinao, Nangalisan, San Pascual, Taloy, Tabaan, Balangabang, Dongon, and all those barrios formerly part of the Township of Baguio which lie immediately outside of and to the south of Baguio Town site Reservation. In the course of time, the original seven Barrios (now barangay) increased to thirteen. These barangays are: Ansagan, Camp 1, Camp 3, Camp 4, Nangalisan, San Pascual, Tabaan Norte, Tabaan Sur, Tadiangan, Taloy Norte, Taloy Sur and Twin Peaks.

Etymology (how the LGU got its name)

In the early times, an old man lived peacefully in the mountain where the

Poblacion is presently situated. Known to be a hard worker, the man cultivated different crops among which was his favorite “saligao”, a shrub which bore fruits that became poisonous when taken excessively but medicinal when used properly. People from different parts of the region learned about the saligao plant and wanted the plant’s fruit. The fruit was used for medicine while others discovered that once powdered and applied or mixed with water in the rivers, it would cause dizziness among the fish making fishing quite easy. Fishing in this way became popular among the people. Later referred to as “tuva”, this fishing method prompted the old man to plant more saligao trees. From then on the people started calling his place “Tuva” now Tuba.


Early Inhabitants

The original native tribes of Benguet Province are the Ibalois and Kankanaeys.

The Ibalois are predominantly the original settlers of Tuba. They mostly occupy the flat lands of the agricultural valleys and have their seat of culture believed was established in Kabayan, in the shadow of Mount Pulag, known to be one of the highest mountains in the Philippines, and is one of the tourist attractions in the Cordillera Region. These people are traditionally agriculturist and have a dialect having a similarity with that of the Pangasinans.

On the other hand, the Kankanaeys, who occupied the northern portion of the

province, migrated to Tuba and were traditionally known to be native miners. Their dialect resembles that of Lepanto.

Tuba is known to be the heart of Ibaloi area and is situated along the southern

part of the Province of Benguet. The Spaniards, Americans and the Ilocanos of La Union, Ilocos Sur and the Pangasinenses late joined the native Ibalois. Today, majority of the local people speak Ilocano aside from their native tongues. Tuba’s population is a mixture of various cultures.

Today, Tuba has become the “Gateway to the South and the Cordillera.